October 07, 2020
Health & Wellbeing
Own a dog? Exercising with your dog is a great way to bond while getting both of you in shape. For some dogs, part of their everyday exercise could be a run.
Top tips for running with your dog
- Always work at your dog’s pace.
- Make sure your dog stays hydrated and take plenty of water for you both.
- Once you know how far you can both run for, you can vary your route.
- Running shouldn’t be their only exercise – remember playtime and walkies, too. You can find out how much exercise your dog needs c/o PDSA and build a plan around this.
- Always build them up gradually. They won’t be able to run the whole route straight away.
- Beware of the weather and don’t run in the heat. It’s best to exercise early in the morning or late in the evening during hot weather but you might have to avoid running at all if it gets really hot. Stop running and offer your dog water if they show any signs that they’re struggling with the heat.
- Leave it at least half an hour after eating before exercising. If you feed your dog after exercising, make sure they don’t gulp it down too quickly.
- Have your vet’s number on your phone – and take your phone with you! – in case anything goes wrong while you’re running.