TRI Challenge Individual and Team Triathlon
Saturday at 09:00am11th September, 2021
Dorney LakeOff Court Lane, Dorney, Windsor, SL4 6QP.
Amazing fun, super friendly and one of the best triathlons to get involved in! Secure your place and encourage all your family, friends or colleagues to join oyu.
About this event
Come and join our end of season TRI Challenge. Enter as a full team, split team or take on the individual challenge!
- Option 1) Enter the full team challenge where each team member completes all 3 disciplines - 9am start (£40pp)
- Option 2) Enter the split team challenge where each team member just completes one of the 3 chosen disciplines - 10am start (£25pp)
- Option 3) Enter the individual challenge where you complete all disciplines yourself. 10am start (£45pp)
The distances are 400m swim/15km bike/5km run for the team triathlon and 400m swim/20km bike/5km run for the individual challenge.
If taking on the ful team challenge all team members complete all disciplines. The first team member will set off on the swim, come out of the water, tag the next member who then completes the swim and so on. You then move on to the bike and then the run.
If taking on the split team challenge once you decide who is doing what discipline the first team member will swim, then hand over the race chip to the 2nd team member at the handover pen and then the team member biking will do the same thing for the 3rd team member who will finish with the run.
The atmosphere is fantastic, the event is super fun, friendly and a great laugh with a little bit of competition involved as well!
Motivation to inspire you to take part
- Super friendly, helpful, supportive and professional team to motivate, support and inspire you
- Olympic venue
- Clean, calm lake waters
- Fast, flat closed road bike and run course
- Suitable for all abilities
- Early season timing to prepare for longer distance events
- Awesome atmosphere
- Awesome medal
- Free Parking
- Electronic chip timing
- Instant race results
- Results texted to your mobile phone as you cross the line (additional cost which can be added during your registration)
Get your team sorted and secure your entry!
Please note the course is a closed lake and closed roads - The cycle and run route is flat - cycle is 3 laps for 15k and the run is around the lake to make 5k - wheelchair friendly - note the course may be altered at any point up to event day if necessary
- Registration will be open from 7am and will close at 8.50am. Please note you will collect all race packs, numbers and race chips at registration on the morning. We will be sending full details including your team race number information by email shortly.
- Registration will be set by race number so please queue in the appropriate section.
- If travelling by train the main stations for Dorney Lake are Slough (Paddington line) and Windsor & Eton Riverside (from Waterloo) but is also near Burnham, Taplow, Maidenhead and Windsor & Eton Central (branch of Paddington line). From these stations you can get a taxi or if with a bike you can ride to the venue. We recommend researching the best option before travelling to ensure you arrive on time.
- A dedicated bag storage area will be available next to the registration tent.
- Toilets and showers are available in the club house.
- Please remember that if you are not BTA registered you have to pay the £5 levy at registration. If you are BTA registered please remember to bring your license.
- You will receive ONE TEAM CHIP per team. It is your responsibility to hand this over to team mates at each transition. This is essential to record your times!
- You MUST decide your team order prior to arrival. A goes first, B second, and C third.
- After registering you have to rack your bike in the appropriate location. Group A rack their bikes in Bike Rack A and so on for B and C. You can share 2 bikes between the 3 team members. So A and C can share.
- All bikes MUST be racked by 8.55am.
- The race will start at 9am sharp for the full team challenge and 10am for the split team challenge. The below info explains the full challenge timings.
- Please note for the split team challenge at 10am the first team member swimming must be in the swim pen. Once they come out of the water they run over to the bike pen where they hand over the race chip to the person cycling and after this person completes their 15k cycle they come in to transition then run over to the run pen (was initially the swim pen) and the last team member completes the 5k before crossing the finish line.
- The road will be closed at 9.15am. Anyone arriving after this time will have to park in the top car park and walk down.
THE EVENT (How the team challenge works)
- Group A starters must gather in Swim Pen at 8.55am. Here they will pick up their swim caps. Group B only moves in after Group A has started the swim. This is when they collect their swim caps and again the same for Group C. Each group will be given different coloured swim caps.
- A starters must make sure they have the timing chip on (around their ankle). They start the swim 400m. Once finished they come back and tag B starters who are now in the Swim Pen having collected their swim caps. Remember to hand over the TIMING CHIP.
- B now go off for their swim and does the same.
- Group A have to move over to the Bike transition and wait in the tag area.
- Once Group C have finished the swim they have to run over to the Bike transition area and tag A (remembering to hand over the TIMING CHIP)
- A goes off on the bike and completes 3 laps of Dorney Lake. (Helmets MUST be worn)
- Once completed they MUST dump their bikes at the BIKE DUMP RACK, and then run over to tag B, and again same for B.
- Once they have done this they MUST remove Bike from BIKE DUMP AREA to clear this space for the next group.
- You can take the bike back to your car. However please remember your Bike is your responsibility and we can not be responsible for the safe-keeping of this.
- Please be careful when crossing the road as bikers will be on the road.
- Once Group C finish the bike they dump their bike at the BIKE DUMP Rack and now run over to RUN PEN where Group A will now be. Again they tag A handing over the timing chip.
- A now complete one lap of Dorney Lake 5km, coming back to tag B who are now in the pen.
- C will complete the last lap and will come back and cross the finish line, completing the race.
Current water temperature - TBC
This is a non-drafting event
Details provided by British Triathlon below as to an explanation on drafting
Everyone will receive a medal and prizes will be awarded to MALE, FEMALE, and MIXED winning teams.
The event is great fun and a great buzz for every level of triathlete. Please make sure you come prepared and have all your essential kit with you including wetsuits which must be worn for the swim and helmets which again must be worn on the bike. Results will be up online within 48 hours of the event completion. We look forward to seeing you at the event and if you have any questions regarding the day, please do not hesitate to contact us.
We look forward to seeing you for what will be an awesome event and fantastic day!!!
The full address for the event is Dorney Rowing Lake, Dorney, Windsor, Berkshire, SL4 6QP. A link to the venue can be found at the top of this event page.
If travelling by train the main stations for Dorney Lake are Slough (Paddington line) and Windsor & Eton Riverside (from Waterloo) but is also near Burnham, Taplow, Maidenhead and Windsor & Eton Central (branch of Paddington line). From these stations you can get a taxi or if with a bike you can ride to the venue. We recommend researching the best option before travelling to ensure you arrive on time.
How do I know I am registered?
As soon as you register you will receive an email confirming your entry. You need a unique email address for everyone you register, so that each entrant receives confirmation and details on how to login to their profile. On the confirmation email there will be a link to create your online profile. Please keep an eye on your inbox and in your profile in the lead up to your event as we will send regular newsletters with race day info, race number details and everything you need to know for race day. Your race number will be listed on your profile the week of the event. If you entered via Find a Race or Lets Do This you will receive a confirmation email from them and then another one from us when your entry has been transferred over to our system.
Will I receive race information in the lead up to my event?
Yes we send out email updates prior to your event and you can view all event details, news and offers by logging in to your user profile.
Will I be chipped timed?
Yes all our events (unless otherwise stated) are chip timed!! Your race chip will be on your race number bib which you receive on race day and which must be secured to your outer garment to ensure the chip works correctly.
What happens if I don't receive my race email?
If you don’t receive your race emails it may be because the wrong email address was inputted or the race email went in to your junk mail so please do check your junk mail carefully! All your race information is stored in your online profile and your race number will also be listed here the week of the event. Please login to check all your information. If you have forgotten your password, login with the email you used to sign up with and then request a new password. All race day information will also be on the event page of the website and a race listing with your race number will be online the week of the event.
Can I cancel/transfer/get a refund if I can't take part?
You can cancel up to 14 days before the event and receive a 60% refund. Unfortunately after 14 days we cannot refund. You can transfer to another Fix Event (£5 transfer fee applies) if giving at least 7 days notice ahead of event day. After this point we can not make any changes to the race data and transferring to another event is not possible. Please email email@example.com to action a refund or transfer. You also have the option to transfer your place to someone else right up to event day itself. The new runner will simply need to register on your race number and then see our race timing crew, Results Base and they will make the change in entry detail then.
Do you have any age restrictions / can children take part?
Absolutely! We typically allow children of all ages to take part in all our events (unless specific information is given for a set event). Please note that children remain the responsibility of their parents/guardian throughout our events. If the parent/guardian is satisfied the child/children can confidently run 5k or 10k unaccompanied they may do so, with a parent/guardian remaining onsite at all times.
What do I get for taking part?
Full race chip timing with instant results at the event, a cool medal, drinks, snacks, trophies for winners and an all round highly professional and fun event to be part of.
Can I Enter a team?
Absolutely! Get as many friends, family or colleagues together and run as a team. You are not required to run together and each person will receive their own time however it's just fun to run under a team name.
Can I run with a buggy?
Yes this is typically ok for most locations however please check the run route course as some locations can be a mix of path, trail, grass so not always suitable for running with a buggy. Also please try and stay to the left as much as possible to give room for other runners. (this is allowed at running events but not triathlon, please see last faq for more info)
Can I volunteer to marshal at the event?
Absolutely! If you miss out on a place or just want to help out on the day and marshal that would be great. We need as much help as possible to ensure we can give runners the best experience possible and that includes plenty of marshals on the course, helping with registration, bag storage, water stations, handing out medals and general event support. Typical volunteer hours are from 8am until around 12pm and all volunteers will get drinks, snacks and a free entry to any Fix Event!! Please get in touch by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We would welcome you to join our team.
Can I walk / do you have a cut off time to complete the event in?
We typically have a cut off time of 1.5 hours to complete the 5k/10k races from when the event starts. 3 hours for half marathons. Walking part of a 5k event is typically fine but the 10k races are mostly for running (with a bit of walking/jogging if necessary!). If doing a virtual run you have the luxury of completing your event anytime, anywhere and for however long throughout the given event period!
Can I run with my dog/are you canicross friendly
Yes, we love too see dogs running with their owners! Please ensure your dog is on a short lead/harness and that you are careful on the course and respect other runners and park users.
Can I wear headphones?
Yes we do allow this but please note it is your responsibility to make sure you can hear what's going on around you when running, including marshals and general public. Please keep the volume at a level whereby you can hear any important announcements that may be made. (this is allowed at running events but not triathlon, please see last faq for more info)
Do I have to fundraise for the charity you are supporting?
You are not required to fundraise but if you choose to that would make a huge difference to the charity, whatever amount you raise. You can fundraise for any charity of your choice.
How do I view my race day photos?
A few teaser photos will be posted on our Facebook page the day or the day after the event: https://www.facebook.com/thefixevents Approx 1 or 2 days post event all photographs will be available to purchase here: www.wildman-media.com You can search by name or race number and purchase individual photos or as a photo bundle containing all of your race images. You can also save even more money by pre-ordering a bundle of all your race photographs prior to the event. For full details visit: https://www.wildman-media.com and / or contact email@example.com.
When do online entries close/can I register on the day?
Unless the event sells out, we typically close online entries 5 days ahead of event day. We generally have on the day entries available. These are allocated on a first come, first served basis. To secure a place aim to be with us at least 45-60 minutes ahead of the first race starting. Please come to the On The Day Registration gazebo and we will get you signed up there. It is typically £20 for the 5k and £25 for the 10k in cash on the day.
What are the rules for triathlon running
When taking part in any of our triathlons running with buggies, running with dogs and running with headphones are not allowed as sanctioned under British Triathlon ruling.